Dear family and friends,
I thought I'd try posting some updates here instead of sending so many emails. I'll try to keep up with it, even if I only have time for short posts. The reality of what is going on is continuing to set in. I went to get coffee this morning with the girls, and we saw a large group of Hazmat workers in uniform from New South Wales. We are now a staging area for relief efforts, so many people are coming and going through here. Seeing them evoked some emotion, as the gravity of this situation continues to come to light.
Della was curious about them because they were wearing uniforms she has never seen before. She wanted to know what they were doing here. I have had to answer a lot of questions for her, and it can be difficult to find just the right way to explain what is going on. She is really inquisitive and perceptive. She certainly grasps the seriousness of our situation here. Tonight before bed she asked me how the men we saw today were going to clean up the mess. I told her they were just going to do their best and that it was really special that they came all this way to help. She seemed to be pondering this for awhile. I know she has seen too much on TV and online, but it is so hard to keep the TV off when there remains a threat of another earthquake or a nuclear emergency. I try to keep her occupied with other things, but I admit it's really hard to just turn it all off.
Later in the day, I took a good look in our pantry and decided that there was no way we could last more than a few days with what we had if we needed to. I had been resisting the "panic" trip to the store. I thought maybe everyone was overreacting. But, reports about the availability of supplies off base got the better of me, so I decided I'd better stock up on a few things. When I got to the store, I started to feel more anxious than I had since Friday. The shelves of many isles were bare. No water, no toilet paper, no chicken, very few batteries, very few diapers. And, I had to wait in line to check out- that NEVER happens here. I guess we're all pretty nervous.
Rumors are flying about radiation, gas rations, more earthquakes, yen, iodine tablets, power outages, and all sorts of other things that play on your imagination. We are exhausted and when I find that I have fallen asleep at night, I wake up feeling guilty that I wasn't on alert in case another quake strikes. So, I'm not as patient with the girls as I should be. My sweet, teething, trying to walk, wants to get down then wants to be picked up one year old doesn't understand that I am trying to listen to a news report, have a short phone conversation to assure a loved one we are safe, or intently watch the pendant light for movement indicative of another quake. Check out this link if you are interested in seeing the constant activity that is going on here:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_big.php
Well, that's it for now. I have to try to go to bed. Rob is sound asleep next to me after working several really long days. We're just waiting to see if they are going to send him anywhere or if they are going to prevent him from doing his allergy training in Texas in a few weeks. I'll try to post again soon! Miss and love you all!
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment